Imagine a life free from worry. Does it seem like an impossible goal? While we’ll never be completely free from worry, many people don’t l
Your guide to moving to New Zealand. New Zealand citizenship, visas and passports.
Why live in New Zealand?
The Kiwis get a lot of things right. All the luxuries of a modern, western country are accessible but there are a lot less people to share them with. Pollution is a word they don’t know and there is literally enough space to breathe for everyone. Modern cities offer plenty of opportunities for those who love the urban lifestyle, but if you’re in quest of a quieter life New Zealand may be heaven on earth.
Low crime rates, open and friendly people and extraordinary scenery make New Zealand one of the best places in the world to live. And people make a lot of effort to keep things this way by caring for their environment and being close to nature.
Finding a balance between work and life is highly valued in New Zealand and although work is an important aspect of people’s lives, so is relaxing and having fun. Research shows that 75% of people working in New Zealand think their work is flexible, which makes it easy to combine work and private. Working from home is also an increasingly popular option for many employees.
Work culture in New Zealand requires employees to have an “I can do this”-attitude, be able to work independently and just get things done. The country is home to a lot of small to medium size businesses, which require all staff to be involved and committed. Kiwis don’t care too much for status and hierarchy and managers are seen as part of the team.
New Zealand Visas and Permits
Australia and New Zealand have the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement which means that Australians can live and work freely in New Zealand. For those that are not Australian.
The founder of a startup or business can be eligible for New Zealand residency if they fulfil the following requirements:
- minimum capital investment of NZ$100,000 (excluding working capital)
- 120 points or more, with points awarded for factors about the likely success of the business and its value to New Zealand
- clear business plan
- clean recent history of bankruptcy, business failure and fraud
- health, character and English language requirements.
Global Impact Visa
- People solving problems of significance to humanity in a way that creates positive lasting economic, social and environmental value. Successful applicants to the Edmund Hillary Fellowship are automatically granted a visa. New Zealand welcomes applicants from all backgrounds and stages of the entrepreneurial journey to apply.
Working Holiday Visa
- If you are a citizen of Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, USA, Vietnam or Uruguay and between the ages of 18-30 or 18-35 for some countries, you may be eligible for a 12-month working holiday visa or a 23-month working holiday visa for the USA and Canada.
To find out if you need a tourist visa to visit New Zealand, please use the VisaHQ tool below.
- If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand, you are probably eligible for residency. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
- If your spouse is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you are probably eligible for residency in New Zealand.
- If one of your parents was born in Australia or is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to live in New Zealand.
- If you are born in Samoa or are a Samoan citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to live in New Zealand
- See the citizenship section below for more information on residency or citizenship based on descent.
What are the easiest countries to move to? Well, it’s not as simple as it sounds because everyone’s circumstances are different. Although
A post-study work visa allows international students to remain in the country where they completed a study program while they look for employment. Thi
Applying for a student visa could be the best personal, academic and professional decision you can ever make. Challenging yourself to live in a differ
Here are some of the ways to get citizenship in New Zealand
NZ Citizenship through your Family
- If at least one of your parents were citizens when you were born, you are probably also a citizen.
- If your spouse is a citizen, you can apply for citizenship after living together in New Zealand for a period of 5 years. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
Citizenship through birth in New Zealand or associated territories/countries
- If you were born in New Zealand before 31st December 2005 you are most likely a New Zealand citizen.
- If you were born in New Zealand after 1st January 2006, and one of your parents is a New Zealand resident or citizen, you are probably already a New Zealand citizen.
- If you were born in the Cook Islands before 31st December 2005, you are most likely a New Zealand citizen.
- If you were born in Niue before 31st December 2005, you are most likely a New Zealand citizen.
- If you were born in Tokelau before 31st December 2005, you are most likely a New Zealand citizen.
New Zealand Investment Visas
- If you invest NZ$3,000,000 in New Zealand over a 4 year period, you may apply for residency. There are additional requirements such as assets of at least NZ$1,000,000, a minimum of 3 years’ business experience and English language ability.
- If you invest NZ$10,000,000 over a 3 year period in New Zealand, you may apply for residency.
At its best, Expat life is incredible. But, it can be extra challenging when things go wrong. And, if you or your family need healthcare, you want to
US Citizens living abroad need private health insurance in case of any illness or injury. Health insurance will not only help you avoid hefty medical
Moving overseas is a new beginning that gives you the chance to follow your dream and live an exciting and life-changing adventure. Thousands of peopl
You may know that there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on the top of your checklist will be findin