Why would you want a residency visa to a country in the EU? From sun-soaked beaches to frosty mountain tops and bustling cities, Europe offers a truly
Your guide to moving to and living in Greece
Don’t let figures and stories on the news discourage you from checking out this ancient paradise. Greece is possibly not the easiest country in the world to land a job right now but there are still plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
For the first time in years the Greek economy is expected to grow and huge progress has been made with the EU. While finding employment off your own bat is not easy at present, moving to Greece for retirement or on a foreign posting is still a very attractive prospect.
Numbers show Greek entrepreneurship is on the rise, as are the number of tourists visiting the country. So, whether you’re looking to open a bed and breakfast on a heavenly island or put your feet up in one, Greece still has a lot to offer.
With a low cost of living, strong social bonds, depth of culture and amazing variety of natural beauty Greece is an amazing part of Europe.
Greece is part of the EU so people with citizenship of countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) can move, live and work freely in Greece.
Youth Mobility Visa
- If you are an Australian or Canada citizen between the ages of 18-30, you may be eligible under the Working Holiday Maker programme.
To find out if you need a tourist visa to visit Greece, please use the VisaHQ tool below.
If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident of Greece, you are probably eligible for residency. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
Greek Citizenship through your family
- If one or both of your parents were citizens when you were born, you are probably also a citizen.
- You can also apply for citizenship through your grandparents if your parents were not born in Greece.
- If your partner/spouse is a citizen of Greece you can apply for citizenship after being resident in Greece for ten years (or three years if there are children) in the last twelve years. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
Greek Citizenship through naturalisation
- If you are a resident in Greece for 10 years or longer, you can apply for citizenship. There are other requirements such as a test that you need to pass.
Greece Golden Visa Residency by Investment Program
This program grants residency permits to third country nationals and to the members of their families if they make a significant investment in the Greek economy. You do not need to visit Greece to get the residency visa. You can get someone to act as your proxy. If you need to talk to a lawyer about the next steps, then please click here.
So what investment do you need to make to qualify?
- Invest more than €250,000 in real estate in Greece. There are also taxes that need to be taken into account. You can get the residency visa within 90 days and it is renewable every 5 years as long as you retain possession of the property.
- Lease a hotel property for at least 10 years and the lease needs to be worth at least €250,000
If you make a capital contribution or investment of €400,000 in the following ways:
- To a company registered or established in Greece for the acquisition of Greek shares or bonds.
- To a real estate fund that invests in Greek real estate.
- For the purchase of Greek Government Bonds
- For the purchase of Greek shares or mutual funds.
If you establish a term deposit of a minimum value of EUR 400,000 to a Greek credit institution, for at least one year, with a standing order for renewal.
Please see the official government website for full details.
If you need to talk to a lawyer about the next steps, then please click here.
If you have used our moving overseas checklist, you know there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on t
Health is the number one prerequisite for every adventure you plan, and unfortunately, it can be very unpredictable. It is essential to do your resear