Imagine a life free from worry. Does it seem like an impossible goal? While we’ll never be completely free from worry, many people don’t l
Your Guide to moving to Sweden. How to get Swedish residency, citizenship and more
Why move to Sweden?
For years, Scandinavia has taken the lead in creating the most pleasurable work environment for employees and living standards for all its inhabitants. And Sweden is definitely no exception; this country is a world leader in many ways.
It appears in the top 5 of many ‘best places to’-lists including best country to live in, to grow old, to travel to and to have children. It’s clean, has a relatively small population so there is plenty of space and is home to dazzling nature where you can truly experience all four seasons in a year.
Employees in Sweden have many rights. Equality is deeply valued, discrimination not tolerated, innovation highly encouraged and health care, childcare and education very affordable. On top of that the country is also a very family friendly place where new parents get up to 480 days of paid leave and receive a monthly allowance from the government to support their children.
And work culture? Everybody takes holidays and breaks regularly because people in Sweden believe that you are more productive when you balance work with a good dose of relaxation. Doesn’t that sound like a place you’d want to live and work?
Sweden Visas and Permits
Nordic citizens, that is, citizens of Finland, Norway, Iceland and Denmark are free to enter, reside, study and work in Sweden They do not need a visa, residence or work permit.
Other citizens from the European Economic Area (EEA) can also work and live in Sweden. For others, here are a few options for you:
Startup or Self Employed Visa
A residency visa is required for those who are planning to run their own business or become part owner in a business in Sweden. To be eligible for this visa, you need to show that you have significant experience in your field and in the running of your own business as well as sufficient funds to support yourself and your family for the first 2 years (equivalent to SEK 200,000 for you, SEK 100,000 for your spouse and SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child)
Youth Mobility Visa
- If you are an Australian, New Zealand, Canadian or South Korean citizen between the ages of 18-30, you may be eligible under the Working Holiday programme.
- There are many types of student visas available to study at schools and universities.
Sweden Family Visas
- If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident of Sweden, you are probably eligible for residency. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
- See the citizenship section below for more information on residency or citizenship based on descent.
Short Term Visitor Visas to Sweden.
To find out if you need a tourist visa to visit Sweden, please use the VisaHQ tool to the right ->>
What are the easiest countries to move to? Well, it’s not as simple as it sounds because everyone’s circumstances are different. Although
EU Residency Visa, Europe Residency; Easiest country to get permanent residency in Europe; Easiest EU country to get residency. Europe is a place of w
Applying for a student visa could be the best personal, academic and professional decision you can ever make. Challenging yourself to live in a differ
Citizenship through your family
- If your mother was a citizen of Sweden when you were born, you are also a citizen of Sweden.
- If your father was a citizen of Sweden when you were born in Sweden, you are probably also a citizen of Sweden.
- If your father was a citizen of Sweden when you were born and you were born outside of Sweden before 1 April 2015, you are a citizen of Sweden only if your father was married to your mother.
- If your spouse is a citizen, you can apply for citizenship after being resident in Sweden for a period of 3 years. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
There are no known investment visas for Sweden at this time. Please see details on investment visas for other countries here.
At its best, Expat life is incredible. But, it can be extra challenging when things go wrong. And, if you or your family need healthcare, you want to
US Citizens living abroad need private health insurance in case of any illness or injury. Health insurance will not only help you avoid hefty medical
Moving overseas is a new beginning that gives you the chance to follow your dream and live an exciting and life-changing adventure. Thousands of peopl
You may know that there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on the top of your checklist will be findin