Imagine a life free from worry. Does it seem like an impossible goal? While we’ll never be completely free from worry, many people don’t l
Your Guide to moving to Portugal. Portugal visas, Portugal Citizenship and more.
Why live in Portugal?
More and more people are immigrating to Portugal to take advantage of both the lifestyle and the climate. Young people are moving to Portugal to work, and older generations are looking to retire to Portugal. In part, this is because of the extensive range of Portugal residence permits, work permits, and visas that are available. There are also clear and achievable pathways to Portugal citizenship, which means accessing the powerful Portugal passport. An example is the famous Residency by Investment program. Also called the Portuguese Golden Visa, this program has given more than 20,000 people the chance to live and work in Portugal. Additionally, there is a wide range of opportunities for a Portuguese Work Visa.
Move to Portugal for the visa, residency, citizenship, and nationality options
Move to Portugal for the cost of living
Move to Portugal for the economy and opportunities
Move to Portugal for Healthcare
Move to Portugal for the weather
Move to Portugal for the people, cuisine, and culture
Retire to Portugal with a Passive Income Visa
Keep up to date with Portugals immigration information
Portuguese residence permits and visas
Short Term Tourist Visa
Portugal Long Term Visas
Portugal Passive Income Visa / Persons of independent means
Portugal Work Permits & Business Visas
- degree of innovation
- scalability of the business
- market potential
- the capacity of the management team
- potential for creating jobs
- The start-up needs to be technology-focused,
- The start-up needs to show the potential to create jobs and to generate a turnover of 325,000€/ year.
Working Holiday visa
Student Visa and Researcher Visa
Seasonal Work Visa
- Agriculture, stock farming, game, forestry and fishery
- Accommodation, catering and similar
- Food, beverage and tobacco industries
- Wholesale and retail trade
- Inland transport
Portugal Residency by Investment
Please see our Investment Visa section for all the details of this program.
EU Residency, Live In Europe, Work in Europe, Europe Residency. Europe is a place of wonder. The incredible diversity and endless opportunities have a
Digital Nomads are a large and growing group of geographically flexible, self-employed or freelance workers. Are you are one of this fortunate group f
Portugal’s Golden Visa is a hugely popular Residency by Investment (RBI) programme in the Europe Union. In fact, as at the beginning of 20
The advantages of Portuguese citizenship
Portugal Citizenship by Descent
Portugal Citizenship by Sephardic Descent
Portugal Citizenship by Double Descent
Portugal Citizenship by Naturalization
Portugal Citizenship through Marriage
Portugal Citizenship for former Portuguese Territories
- Former Portuguese State of India (Goa, Daman, Diu and Dadrá and Nagar-Aveli)
- Cape Verde
- Sao Tome and Principe
Portugal’s Golden Visa Program
- Processing times can vary but generally are around four months
- The Portuguese government charges a processing fee of €517 for the principal applicant. There is an additional fee of €80 per additional family member. There is also a charge to issue the Golden Visa of €5,202 per applicant.
- After holding your investment for five years, you are free to sell your property if you choose
Portugal Residency by Investment (Golden Visa) investment options
- Invest more than €500,000 in real estate.
- Invest in real estate to the value of €350,000 or above. This option only applies to properties that were built more than 30 years or are located in an urban regeneration area.
- Invest more than €350,000 in Portuguese businesses. The investment can be through shares or investment funds. Alternatively, it can be in a venture capital fund geared to the capitalisation of companies. The maturity of the fund at the time of investment must be at least five years. 60% of the investment should be realised in companies whose head office is located in Portugal.
- Invest more than €350,000 in a commercial company whose head office is in Portugal. The company must be able to create and keep five new permanent jobs. The jobs must be maintained for a minimum period of three years.
- Transfer €1,000,000 of capital funds to Portugal.
- Invest €350,000 or more in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions.
- Invest more than €250,000 in artistic output or supporting the arts or for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage.
- The creation of at least ten jobs.
For information on the best Residency by Investment and Citizenship by Investment programs around the world please check out our article here.
We interview James Cave the co-founder and owner of Portugalist, a website full of great information on travelling and living in Portugal.
Starting a new life in Portugal is a big change. Some people move abroad for a new adventure, to explore the unknown or to immerse themselves in a new
Moving overseas is a new beginning that gives you the chance to follow your dream and live an exciting and life-changing adventure. Thousands of peopl
If you have used our moving abroad checklist, you know there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on the
Health is the number one prerequisite for every adventure you plan, and unfortunately, it can be very unpredictable. It is essential to do your resear