Moving overseas is a new beginning that gives you the chance to follow your dream and live an exciting and life-changing adventure. Thousands of peopl
Your guide to living in Peru. Peru Visas, citizenship and more
Why live in Peru?
Over the past few years, the Peruvian economy has been recovering and GDP is growing at 2.4%. These are good prospects and make Peru an appealing place to live. Large parts of the country are still untouched by development so it’s also a great place for adventurers to start a new, exciting chapter in their lives.
Almost a third of the Peruvian population lives in Lima. It is the capital of the country, a desert city, yet is located on the coast. It is surrounded by mountains and ocean and apart from being the capital city, Lima is also the business center of the country. The cost of living in Peru is low and it is possible to live a very comfortable life. People are warm and friendly and welcoming of newcomers.
Peru has an incredibly rich and long, very long, history. Many people travel to the country at least once in their lives to see the world famous ‘Machu Picchu’, the ancient Inca mountain citadel. But there is much more to see, do and experience in Peru. National parks, canyons, museums and deserts; weekends and holidays in this country will definitely not be boring.
Peru Visas and Permits
Peru Resident Card
All immigrants need an ‘el carné de extranjeria’, a resident card that allows you to work in the country, before they can start a job in Peru. You can extend this card yearly for $20 without limit and the initial costs of the card are about $250.
There are a number of different requirements for the card and having a contract with a local employer for at least a year is one of them. An exam taken at Interpol is also needed as well as a number of documents and a statement that says you have not committed any crimes in the country.
Peru Spousal Visa
If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident , you are eligible for residency. If your spouse is a citizen, you can apply for citizenship after 2 years of marriage. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
Youth Mobility Visa
- If you are a Chilean, Colombian or Mexican citizen, you may be eligible under the Working Holiday Visa programme.
- If you are a New Zealand citizen between the ages of 18-30, you may be eligible under the Working Holiday Visa programme.
To find out if you need a tourist visa to visit Peru, please use the VisaHQ tool below.
Here are some of the ways to get citizenship in Peru:
- If one or both of your parents were citizens when you were born, you are probably also a citizen.
- If you were born in this country, you are most likely a citizen.
- If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident , you are eligible for residency. If your spouse is a citizen, you can apply for citizenship after 2 years of marriage. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
If you have used our moving abroad checklist, you know there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on the
Expat health insurance cost; the best Expat health insurance; international health insurance. At its best, Expat life is incredible. But, it can be ex