What are the easiest countries to move to? Well, it’s not as simple as it sounds because everyone’s circumstances are different. Although
Your guide to moving to and living in Mexico.
Why live in Mexico?
Mexico visas and permits
Short Term Visa
If you’ve never been to the country and want to find out if Mexico is for you, enter on a tourist visa, which allows you to stay for 180 days, plenty of time to find out if you want to stay longer and apply for a more suitable type of residency.
To find out if you need a tourist visa to visit Mexico, please use the VisaHQ tool below.
Temporary Resident Visa
After that you can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. This is a one year visa that can be renewed up to fours years after which time you need to apply for a permanent residency visa. There are a number of ways that you may be eligible for this visa as follows:
- Show that you have had an average monthly balance of $27,654.00 Canadian dollars during the past twelve months.
- Prove a monthly tax-free income greater than $1,106.00 Canadian dollars during the past six months.
- Be a scientific researcher in Mexican waters.
- Have an invitation from a public or private organization to participate in unpaid activity in Mexico.
- Applying for the Youth Mobility visa (see below)
- Family Unity ie. your common law partner or spouse is a temporary or permanent resident in Mexico.
- You own property in Mexico to the value of at least 3,201,600 Mexican pesos
- You have shares in a Mexican company to the value of at least 1,600,800 Mexican pesos
Mexico Retirement visa
You can apply for a retirement visa, pensionada, when you can prove your monthly income is at least USD2200 or you have an investment or bank accounts with an average monthly balance equivalent to $85000 for twelve months.
Living in Mexico on a retirement visa means you are not allowed to engage in any kind of employment so if you wish to start your own business or do something on the side you will probably need a different kind of residency.
Youth Mobility Visa
- If you are a citizen of Canada, France, Germany, South Korea and New Zealand between the ages of 18-29, you may be eligible under the Working and Holiday Visa programme. Note: you may need a letter of government support to undertake this type of visa.
- If you are a citizen of Chile, Colombia or Peru you may be eligible for the Pacific Alliance Working Holiday Visa in Mexico.
Mexico Family Visas
- If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident of Mexico, you are probably eligible for residency. If your spouse is a citizen, you can apply for citizenship after living together in Mexico for a period of 2 years. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
- If one of your grandparents is a Mexican citizen or permanent resident, you can live in Mexico and after 4 years of living in Mexico you can apply for permanent residency.
- If your spouse has a Mexican grandparent or grandparent who is a permanent resident, you can live in Mexico and after 4 years of living in Mexico you can apply for permanent residency. Please note that your spouse needs to be a recognised and registered spouse or partner as per local laws.
Which countries have the best Remote Work Visas in 2021? Because, if you can do your job from home, could your home be anywhere? Countries around the
Applying for a student visa could be the best personal, academic and professional decision you can ever make. Challenging yourself to live in a differ
Mexican citizenship is available to many. As well as those born in Mexico, those with family connections or who live in Mexico have opportunities to g
At its best, Expat life is incredible. But, it can be extra challenging when things go wrong. And, if you or your family need healthcare, you want to
US Citizens living abroad need private health insurance in case of any illness or injury. Health insurance will not only help you avoid hefty medical
Moving overseas is a new beginning that gives you the chance to follow your dream and live an exciting and life-changing adventure. Thousands of peopl
You may know that there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on the top of your checklist will be findin