Imagine a life free from worry. Does it seem like an impossible goal? While we’ll never be completely free from worry, many people don’t l
Your Guide to moving to Canada. Canada visas, residency and citizenship.
Canada is famous for its rough nature and modern cities and you’d surely know this place too from their reputation of being one of the happiest spots in the world to live. In fact, according to The Economist’s Global Liveability Ranking 2017, three of the top 10 liveable cities in the world are in Canada.
Canada is among the wealthiest societies in the world and the high standard of living, low unemployment rates and a growing economy make it a solid place for a fresh start. And with about 20% of the population being born abroad, you’ll have no trouble blending in.
‘A great place to invest’ according to the Prime Minister and with a focus on moving forward, Canada invites immigrants to take the ‘Canadian Opportunity’. A move that could not just benefit your own career because with a great reputation when it comes to education, living in Canada also contributes to your children’s future.
With costs of living being 9.3% lower than its US neighbours, high purchasing power and the standard income above the OECD average a Canadian life looks prosperous. Not to mention other great benefits of living in this Northern region such as a healthy, spacious living environment and stunning landscapes that offer boundless outdoor lifestyle opportunities.
The number of people moving to Canada is on the rise. With the processing time of permanent residence programs decreasing and a liberal government supporting immigrants, the future looks bright for those seeking to move to this promising country.
Skilled Visa Program
Canada has an Express Entry system to evaluate candidates for their Skilled Visa Program. Applicants must complete an online profile, and submit and expression of interest before applying for their visa. You can apply under 3 programs as follows:
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to apply based on being qualified in a skilled trade.
- The Federal Skilled Workers Program is for people who want to apply based on their experience and skills. Have a look at the National Occupational Classification (NOC) list to see if your occupation is listed and how it is
- The Canadian Experience Class where you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying.
Start-up Visa Program
Canada’s Start-up Visa Program is for entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build new and innovative businesses in Canada that will provide local jobs. To qualify, you need to get support for a designated list of organisations.
If you have experience and intend on buying and managing a farm in Canada or have the relevant experience to contribute to the cultural or athletic life of Canada, you may be eligible for this visa for self employed people
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
You may be eligible for a job and residency where there are labour gaps in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland and Labrador.
You can apply for a student permit if you intend on studying in designated learning institutions. Click here for the list.
Working Holiday Visa
International Experience Canada has agreements with 33 countries around the world enabling people between the ages of 18-30 or 18-35 the opportunity to travel and work in Canada.
To find out if you need a tourist visa to visit Canada, please use the VisaHQ tool below.
- If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you are probably eligible for residency.
- If your adult child is a citizen or permanent resident of this country, you may apply for a parent residency visa.
- See the citizenship section below for more information on residency or citizenship based on your descent.
A post-study work visa allows international students to remain in the country where they completed a study program while they look for employment. Thi
Applying for a student visa could be the best personal, academic and professional decision you can ever make. Challenging yourself to live in a differ
Here are some of the ways to get citizenship in Canada
- If one or both of your parents were citizens when you were born.
- If your spouse is a citizen of Canada, you can apply for citizenship after being resident in Canada for a period of 6 years.
- If you were born in Canada, you are most likely a Canadian citizen.
- You meet the citizenship requirements to become naturalised. The residency requirements are:
- You need to have been resident in Canada for 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application
- You need to have been resident in Canada for 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply
Canada Investment Visas
Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program (IIVC) – This is an at-risk investment (non-guaranteed) of CDN $2 million into the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) Fund for permanent residency in Canada. Proceeds will depend on the fund’s performance and will be based on its gains or losses, including expenses and fees incurred to manage it. The investment needs to be for approximately 15 years and you need to have a net worth of at least CAD $10 million.
You may be eligible for permanent residency in Canada if you invest CAD $800,000 in the Immigrant Investor Program (IIP). It will be used for projects to develop the Canadian economy and create jobs for five years. Your investment will be returned, without interest, about five years and three months after payment. You need to show that you have sufficient business experience and a net worth of at least C$1,6 million.
Where do Europeans go when they want to, well… get out of Europe? Canada of course! Today we share a wonderful Expat interview with French Inst
Today we have the pleasure to interview the lovely Liz Russell of Living Life Confidently on her experience as an Australian on a Canadian W
Moving overseas is a new beginning that gives you the chance to follow your dream and live an exciting and life-changing adventure. Thousands of peopl
If you have used our moving abroad checklist, you know there are numerous tasks to deal with when planning your move. And, one of the key tasks on the
Expat health insurance cost; the best Expat health insurance; international health insurance. At its best, Expat life is incredible. But, it can be ex